Sunday, August 30, 2009

California Fires

It breaks my heart to see these horrific images.






Many of you have seen it only as the far off background of the Rose Parade on the morning of a New Year, the area known as LaCanada-Flintridge, Altadena and the surounding areas. White capped San Gabriel Mountains, the Angeles National Forest stand sentinel against a pure blue Winter sky, with the green foothills of oak, sycamore and cedar lying at their feet.It is especially lovely that time of year, causing emigres to question why they ever moved.

The Northern San Gabriel Valley is home to Descanso Gardens, The Jet Propulsion Lab/ Cal.Tech, Mt.Wilson Observatory and many lovely upscale neighborhoods. It is, in my opinion, some of Southern California at its best.







I regret that I haven't visited in so long. I have so many memories...
The mountain view would greet me every morning, as I drove up San Gabriel Blvd. in my little Dodge dart on my way to P.C.C. and my first year of Junior College. In my high school years, Chantry Flats was the destination many a late night when, at a SPOOKS slumber party, we would decide to go looking for adolescent thrills. Switzer Falls was a fun hike to take with the kids from my church.
So far, only three homes have burned and countless acres. I hope there are no more.





2 comments:

Breezy said...

My heart aches for the firefighters who lost their lives in California. Being raised there I was aware of the fire danger. I remember as a child seeing the flames on the nearby mountians and thinking it can't happen here.

I hope this ends soon.

Anonymous said...

Hello all, here every person is sharing these knowledge, thus it's pleasant to read this blog, and I used to go to see this web site everyday.

Feel free to visit my blog Skip Navigation