Monday, August 17, 2009

Rock Creek Chronicles 5


Having used a flush toilet, been mulled in the warm waters of Bass Lake, and picked up supplies to get us through another 2 days in the wilderness, we drove along the road, at a pretty good clip, back up to the campsite.
"This road is a lot straighter than the one on the south side of the lake" Don says to no one in particular.
I answer, "Well, back when they built the other road, they didn't have the technology for straight road building." The boys "get it" and I earn my deserved laugh.
A small, spotted fawn appears, skittishly making it's way down the steep bank on my side of the road. We must be traveling about 55 miles per hour and we are not slowing down. My brain can not fathom that we are not slowing down. With three small bounds, the fawn is across our lane, its little brown and white upright tail barely clearing the left bumper of the s.u.v. The entire time this drama was unfolding, lasting only about three seconds, all I could do was sputter an unintelligible squeal.
Short of breath, my right hand to my chest, I exclaim, "Oh my gosh! I thought we were going to hit it!"
"What?"
"The fawn! Didn't you see it?! I couldn't figure out why you weren't slowing down!"
"Where! What? A fawn?"
Don had been looking in the rear view mirror, the boys were looking out the left windows and playing electronic Solitaire.
Barry recalls "Oh geez, I did see a flash of some brown thing when I just looked out the front window but thought it was a bird!"
Ty said he just thought I was choking on something. Yeah, that's mom, always making some sort of weird noises.
It happened so fast! A near miss and no one saw it but me.
I am SO grateful we didn't hit it!

3 comments:

Shan @ Design Gal said...

i'm so glad you didn't hit it!!!

Breezy said...

Things can happen in the blink of an eye. I'm so glad you didnt hit the fawn!

life in red shoes said...

Once again, who was paying attention to deatils?