Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Birthday Through Rose-Colored Goggles.



The summer is going by so fast! Guess it's true, "time flies when you're having fun".
The day after school got out we left for Alaska. The cruise was wonderful! Beautiful scenery, wild-life and good food. It was a very restful trip. I enjoyed sitting on the balcony for hours, scanning the water for whales while thinking deep thoughts!
Came home to my birthday, Father's day and Steve's birthday, so it was party time! Thank you to all who helped make my birthday special! So many thoughtful gifts, lunch dates and phone calls. The lunch dates have been especially fun as I don't often get to leisurely lunch during the school year!
Don got me a LAPTOP, aaaahhhhhh!!!! I couldn't believe it!! thanks, honey! What a surprise!
Gail gave me an interesting gift. Wrapped in two separate packages were, in one, a pair of rubber goggles and in the other heavier package, 2 books( She remembered my search for one of them on Amazon. Observant girl!) and some double sided tape circa 1940. When I opened the goggles I was flummoxed! Hmm, goggles... Could the heavier package contain some sort of small power tool? a beach towel?...goggles, hmm?? I looked at Gail questioningly, "Oh, neat...goggles."
"Don't you remember?" she prompted.
As soon as she said that, I DID remember!
She was cleaning out the 5th grade bookroom with the team leader. They were throwing away all kinds of "good" stuff. It's amazing what kind of old, crap is in those storage rooms! the kind of old crap I love! When I saw they had tossed some old rubber science experiment goggles, I protested and took a pair out of the trash. I had already retrieved the tape in its funky blue and orange box and some books. Gail laughingly told me to stop scavenging and made me give her the goggles and the tape.
"I'll save them for your birthday!" And she really did!
I had completely forgotten!
So, once again, A sincere thank you to all my friends and family! I love you guys!

4 comments:

Shan @ Design Gal said...

it's fun having a birthday when so many people love you! :) i'm glad you enjoyed all of your gifts!

Breezy said...

The look on your face was priceless.. wish I had had my camera ready!!!
love ya

life in red shoes said...

Listen honey, at this time of our lives those goggles can't get too rosy!

LIBERTY POST EDITOR said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Thinking about you today as I wrote my latest post! Big Hug LPxo