Monday, April 9, 2012

Spring Break! Girl Gone Wild!



Returned to school after a week of exotic travel, intellectual stimulation and...

Well, what really happened is, I didn't do much of anything for 5 days and it suited me just fine, thank-you.

 I attended the funeral of a good friend's brother. It is horrible when it takes a funeral to get the two of us together but, I was glad to be a small support to her and to be able to honor her brother and his surviving partner, of 25 years. He was listed, by first name only, as his best friend in the obituary. I am not judging those who authored the obit. I know they were doing the best they could. But it broke my heart and made me hope for the day when fear won't keep us from proudly acknowledging the caring, committed relationship of a loved one.

I had lunch with a friend who told me she had promised herself she would not be "negative" at our lunch date. I advised her, as her "therapist", that in this case negative was good. Where else can you be "negative" if not with a trusted friend? I go home feeling purged after one of my "sessions" with my "therapists". Hey, lunch is a lot cheaper than real therapy and I would guess there's also a lot more humor involved! So bitch away! Then go home with a smile on your face, knowing you aren't alone in the battle and it's possibly not as bad as it seemed before you brought it all out across the lunch table and umpteen refills of diet coke.

One early morning, I took my synthetic down comforter, and a jillion quarters, to the laundromat. Although having all the machines to yourself brings a kind of "early-bird getting the worm" sort of self satisfaction, being in a laundromat alone, in a deserted strip mall is creepy.  I thought of just going to sit in my car to wait for my load, but I LOVE that dang comforter and I guess I would risk robbery rather than have it snatched from the dryer! I was really relieved when another early bird, arms loaded with Big Load items, showed up.

Having watched 1-4 episodes per day, I can proudly say that I am caught up to Season 4 of Breaking Bad. I have become addicted to it, much like the meth heads often portrayed in the show. I just think it is genius, so well written, the characters well developed, causing me to laugh out loud one minute and to yell out, "hurry, hurry!! arghhhh!", the next. I'm hooked! The new season doesn't start til Fall! How will I survive?

Lastly, took Shannon and Barry to a hole-in-the-wall Mexican place over on the west side of town, and I mean WEST in the worst sense of the word. Or the best sense, depending on what you're looking for. You want dive, holeinthewall, go west young man! This place had four small, 4 person booths and a counter that was almost part of the tiny kitchen, seating another four. Food was served on old,finely cracked, melamine plates of the beige, slightly speckled 1960 variety. I can only wonder how many thrift stores the owners had to scour to get a set of 13. No soda machine, bottled-pop only, and plastic forks. The food was great, very authentic. Barry loved it, saying it took him right back to his Central Mexico Mission, in more ways than one. It was delicious!...and waay too much money! I guess in the novelty of the experience, I didn't notice the prices while ordering. While the food was wonderful, the service-ware and general state of the building called for a price break. I thought $9.00 (an old) plate was a bit much! But it was fun being together, feeling adventurous, so worth it. And I guess you are paying for the ambiance.

Hope you enjoyed a love filled Easter!

3 comments:

just call me jo said...

Even at that you do more interesting things than I. Daughter left me alone at a ghetto laundromat in Vegas with her comforter. Just drove away while I battled the low lifes. I was afeered for sure, but survived. Back to school!

Unknown said...

Nice break chilling out and taking it easy.. Although the trip to the Laundromat sounds like a real adventure. I would have to have my camera with me to observe the locals.

Have a great week, back to the salt mine...

Shan @ Design Gal said...

haha, yes the mexican food was good but so expensive! sheesh! at least we had fun! :) glad you had a fun spring break! love you momma